Wednesday, August 27, 2008

on Doing Everything

Well not technically everything, but more than what is included in your job description.

I'm a big proponent for understanding every aspect of library service. Yes, yes, most librarians want to know how circulation works, but they don't want to carry out the duties. Of course, I whine and moan over checking in reserves. I hate being on the receiving end of a Fine Dispute. But I think it's essential for libraries to continue on adapting and changing to the needs of patrons.

Patrons don't know that shelvers are shelvers. They don't know that people standing at the desk are circulation associates and not "librarians." When I walk into an organization or company where I am doing business, I expect whomever I'm talking to, to be able to not point me in the direction of another line or another window, but I expect them to help me because that's why they're there. To help customers/patrons, whatever. I don't care what your job title is, I just need your help.

The job I have now has one desk. One desk where everything takes place. We call it the "Magic Desk". Circulation aides, Circulation Associates, Librarians, Library Associates and even the Manager staff this desk each hour. There's a good chance that if you have a reference question, the person you're asking may not be a Librarian. In fact, they're probably not. Do the patrons care? I doubt it. They just want an answer.

Granted, I went to library school. I have the debt and smarts to prove it. (hehe) I get a little jealous when a patron comes up with a reference question and asks the Circulation Associate for their help in finding an answer. But having one point-of-service has permitted me to learn more than I ever could have learned at an Information Desk. I don't know it all, I'm open to anyone's suggestions and guidance on things I don't understand or even just can't-seem-to-remember. And I feel like the team I work with feels the same way.

I always felt like librarianship (maybe particularly public librarianship) relies almost entirely on a collaborative spirit. There is no "That's not my Job" attitude. At least, there shouldn't be. But I believe (as I read more and more about libraries, how they operate and staff's attitudes within their departments) that libraries should be less about segmentation and different departments, and more about learning, adapting and providing service. That's not to say that someone shouldn't be open to passing along a question for additional feedback from a colleague...but I do think that people need to be more collaborative in their work.

I know, because I'm a librarian, that there is an overall feeling of segregation between librarians and "para-professional" staff. On one hand, I feel like I deserve the tough reference questions. I don't want to do the lifting work or the shelving work. And it's something I have to tell myself to "get over" almost daily. Because putting myself on a pedestal or- picking and choosing what kinds of services I'm going to provide as a librarian is just NOT part of the deal. I am not "above" doing the work of anyone else. I'm not that special. I joined this field with the expectation that library service will change, and in order for that to happen, I have to change.

Don't get me wrong....I have bad days too- when I don't want to do this or that, or when I just want to get something done that I've been working on for 6 weeks but can't seem to finish because I'm collaborating with other staff on the daily necessary tasks of checking people out and checking things in. I miss the research. I miss using our electronic resources. I miss talking with other librarians about things that are new and upcoming. But I feel that this job, the one I have now, has given me experience that not many other librarians get to have- and that's working with everyone on the same level. Seeing an even plane- and even playing field, where you won't be judged or pushed aside for not-knowing-the-answer. You just all learn together, and I think that's priceless.

I just hope that I'll be able to continue this kind of work and I really hope that other organizations and departments will start looking at Library service and recognize that departmental segregation just creates another obstacle for the patron. It's time for everyone to be sponges and learn as much as possible from other departments, other branches, etc.

No comments: