Wednesday, September 3, 2008

aw naw she didn't....

From the NYT:

"Ann Kilkenny, a Democrat who said she attended every City Council meeting in Ms. Palin’s first year in office, said Ms. Palin brought up the idea of banning some books at one meeting. “They were somehow morally or socially objectionable to her,” Ms. Kilkenny said.
The librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, pledged to “resist all efforts at censorship,” Ms. Kilkenny recalled. Ms. Palin fired Ms. Emmons shortly after taking office but changed course after residents made a strong show of support. Ms. Emmons, who left her job and Wasilla a couple of years later, declined to comment for this article. In 1996, Ms. Palin suggested to the local paper, The Frontiersman, that the conversations about banning books were “rhetorical.”

I hate book banning, book bann-ers (if that's a word) and I really didn't need another reason to dislike this woman....but now I have one more. I have a feeling it won't be the last reason...

And I'm not turning this into a political blog. I reserve political rantings to myspace, where I can be obnoxious and say what I really feel. But since this had to do with libraries, I thought I'd post it here. Sigh. Censorship Sucks.

UPDATE: I have scoured the interwebs for Wasilla's City Council Meeting Minutes as well as Library Board Meeting Minutes in search of the list of challenged books by Mrs. Palin. Nothing before August of 2008 is available without a Public Records Request (which takes weeks) and it appears as if this information USED TO be more widely available. There's even a section for media and other people seeking information on Palin...too many bridges to cross and lines of red tape to get through to find the appropriate list of books. Several lists have been made public, but none of them are well-sourced. Once I find the list, rest assured I will be posting it on here.

ANOTHER UPDATE: I've done more research and this is what I've gathered regarding Palin's Book Banning Stance:
  • Palin becomes Mayor.
  • Palin approaches Librarian and asks, "Would you let me ban some books?"
  • Librarian staunchly replies, "Absolutely not, our collection development policy is based on National Selection criteria and we have policies and procedures in place to handle Book Challenges."
  • Palin backs down.
  • Palin approaches City Council and suggests Librarian resigns.
  • Community and City Council love their Librarian and stand up for her.
  • Librarian stays employed by the City, no books are challenged.
  • There is no record with the Office of Intellectual Freedom (a segment of ALA) reporting that Wasilla had any book challenges.
  • There is not a list of books anywhere that Palin was going to ban, except for maybe in Palin's mis-shapen beehived head somewhere.

So it's not as bad as I thought, but still not good. Oh well. To each their own I suppose....

1 comment:

Ria said...

Mandy!!!!
So good to see you on blogger. I had no idea, but am very excited. I love libraries...kinda want to be a librarian or at least move into the public library. I totally would have asked you out to if you worked at my library!
I'm glad I now get to keep up with you. Yay!