Tuesday, August 26, 2008

on Getting Asked-Out, at the library

A 50 something (perhaps I'm being generous here- he could've been 60) year old man asked me out at the library the other day. The conversation went something like this:

(Man at PC looking like he's waving me down)

Me: Can I help you with something?
Him: Hi. My name's ______. You're Mandy.
Me: Hi.
Him: I have found something. I love libraries. And I've found that I come here quite often. And I've discovered that often I find myself filled with anticipation of seeing you when I come here. In fact, Breathless anticipation. And I was wondering if you would ever be willing to have dinner, lunch or heck, even a glass of iced tea with me sometime.
Me: Thank you, I'm flattered, but I have a boyfriend.
Him: Of course you do, I should have figured as much. Well it's an open invitation should you ever change your mind.
Me: Okay Thank you.

(Then I proceed to get black/blue ink all over my hands.)

I feel that an exchange like this is creepy. It does not matter if you use flowery language gentlemen, it doesn't matter if you're just checking online because your internet connection is down at home for the day. It is insulting to be hit-upon like this at work. It is insulting and uncomfortable because I can't leave my post. I am then forced to be friendly and kind even though I may want to run in the other direction so you get the hint. It is not fair to be hit-on at work, to be asked-out. Yes, in one way it's flattering, and no I don't want you waiting until I'm off work. I don't know what the solution is here other than to advise that you don't offer such an exchange while someone is working. Then I have to stare and wonder when the heck you're going to leave so I can breathe for a moment and feel like I can walk around and do my job without someone staring at the back of me. Yuck.

And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

Anne said...

What makes it even better is being asked out over chat reference. That, my friend, is class. :P