Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Books I gave up on...

So I'm probably the worst librarian in the world when it comes to reading books that aren't my "cup of tea". I typically read one full book for every 25 that I check out and read 1/4 to 3/4's of..because of numerous reasons really. It just depends. Here I will begin to list the books I'm returning to the library today, because they've been in the back of my car and for whatever reason- I couldn't bring myself to finish them.

I Don't Want to Be Crazy by Samantha Schutz
A "teen book"- nonfiction. Written in verse, Samantha chronicles her experience with Anxiety disorder as a teen and young adult at college. I really liked it to start with, but for some reason stopped just about halfway through. Pretty good, but not good enough.

Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Teen Fiction. I really wanted to finish this one because I want to read the sequel that came out recently. But for some reason I couldn't get all the way through it either. It was well written, convincing, and scary. I may try it again sometime, I don't know.

Maxed Out by James D. Scurlock
Adult Nonfiction. The book the coincides with the documentary about Credit Card Debt and Predatory Lending in America. I didn't get far into this one before just renting the documentary. the documentary was really good- depressing yet made me feel like I wasn't alone, or nearly as bad-off as many of the poor victims of predatory lending. Brought up a lot of good talking points with my roommate and boyfriend, who watched the movie with me.

Spark by John J. Ratey
On second thought, I'm going to try to keep going with this one, which speaks to the findings that correlate better brain functionality and intelligence to fitness and exercise. I like this one. Might buy it for myself.

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn
Recommended by an artist neighbor. Liturgical format. Adult/Teen fiction. Story about a fictional town where they begin outlawing different letters from sentences and general everyday use. Didn't get far in this one, but liked the idea behind the story.

Confessions of a Carb Queen by Susan Blech
Adult Memoir. Written by a woman who lost over 200 pounds. Too much talk about food and her feelings, though I'm sure that's the point. Made me think that I need to get more organized and start focusing my efforts on getting-things-done rather than sitting around and waiting for things to magically happen for me. Interesting read, but couldn't finish.

Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder by Nadia Shivack
Teen/Adult Memoir in Pictures/art. Incredibly disturbing. A woman chronicles her life through pictures she drew of her personified Eating Disorder (ED) and how it affects her life. I read most of this one, but I'm not sure if it counts since it's mostly pictures. Very Very good. Teen girls should read this.

And now for the book that I'm thinking about before bed, as my eyes are burning with the desire to sleep but my brain wants the story to keep going:

The English American by Alison Larkin
Adult Fiction. Story of a 28 year old American-born and British-raised woman who seeks out her biological mother, who's located in Georgia. I. can't. stop. thinking. about. relaxing. with. this. book. What is my obsession with England?! London!? I particularly like this so far because the main character has red hair and is (obviously) adopted. I think I secretly wish I was adopted by my parents and somewhere in London my birth parents are waiting for me to contact them for tea.

1 comment:

slmsimon said...

so I found my copy of this book. Do you want me to save it for you?