Thursday, August 14, 2008

Web 6.0

?

I don't know- I feel like the buzzword for the social web, "Web 2.0" or "Libraries 2.0" has already expired. Since I first heard the term, I've had to update my iTunes software 5 times. Java's installed a buttload of updates. There's been the release of the iPhone, then the newer cheaper iPhone. My mom's gotten a Myspace page and also a Sony Reader. I'm so proud of her tech-pertise that I don't even get annoyed when she asks me for Quicken tech support even though I've never used the software.

This summer we pushed comments on our Teen Blog as a way to get points in the Summer Reading Program, and as a result generated hundreds of comments from real teens (go figure) who were reading our posts. I've received numerous Pieces of Flair on Facebook and I've finally caved and signed up for a LinkedIn account. I haven't been good about posting my pictures to Flickr (because I refuse to spend money to get more-pictures-per-month) but I religiously post them to my social networking pages and Snapfish, so I know they're out on the web should my computer decide to kick the bucket. I've watched all of the bloggers I subscribe to complain about the ALA conference in Anaheim and make READ posters. I've Tumbld, Tamed, SimplyHired, and finally started contributing to the Columbus Underground forum. I regularly consult web comics for some brief relief from the reference desk and circ work that needs done.

I've found my house in Google Streetview. I've signed up for an online exercise social network that I inevitably couldn't keep up with. When I need some background noise I just open Musicovery.

And most recently, I attended a presentation with Michael Stephens where he encouraged the people at Columbus Metropolitan Library to Learn and Play. His presentation and enthusiasm is definitely contagious. One of my favorite bloggers- to see him in real life (IRL?) was pretty cool and it was neat to watch everyone around me somewhat awestruck by his iPhone and Twitter facts (I still haven't signed up for Twitter- only out of self-preservation because I realize the kind of addictive personality I have and I don't know that I couldn't set limits with the tweeting.) Even I was awestruck by the gorgeous pictures and motivating sentiments towards how people use the web, how we (libraries) should be altering our services to include user-generated content...and more and more and more.

But there has to be a new name for it all. Period. End of story. Saying Web 2.0 to encompass all things social about the internet is just silly at this point. My iTunes software is at 7.7. My Adobe update is at 7.0. Even Internet Explorer is up around 7 these days. Microsoft Office 2007 is completely different from 1993-200whatever the last update was. Web 2.0 sounds like Netscape to me at this point. It needs a new name. Something newer, shinier and something that reflects the changing aspect of the social web. It's changing. We can't call it the same thing. Or at least, we shouldn't be calling it the same number.

What's the point?

Technology is advancing far beyond where we can keep up. (Think-- not unlike American Public School System?) I think libraries are FINALLY getting the picture that in order to be relevant in this day and age, you must understand how to reach people. Our insatiable need for immediate gratification is causing our users to satisfice information from a random Google search or Wikipedia entry and cite it in their undergraduate papers. Nobody knows what Electronic Resources at the Library are. I haven't had ONE PERSON ever tell me- "Oh Yea, Gale Databases? I access those at home through your website all the time...."

We need to call Web 2.0 something else. It's time. It should definitely be Web 4.5 or something by now. And YES we should be changing to fit the technological needs and desires of our users. OF COURSE we shouldn't be caught up in administrative red-tape. Duh!

And I'm a little disappointed that people are just now starting to learn about and appreciate the tools that I've been using for a long time- years in fact. I'm not that special. I just was told in Library School that I have to know how to use these things. I was told that understanding these new tech tools would not only help in the field of librarianship, but if I DIDN'T learn these tools, well my chances of finding or keeping a job would be slim to none. I thought this was something I was required to do.

I want to learn new things. I'm constantly hitting refresh on my feed reader so I can hopefully find a Grad Links post from someone in an MLS program who can show me something new, something different. It seems like this technology (that , as I mentioned, has been around for a while) is just now getting the recognition of being useful.

In order to be relevant and useful I think we need to not only learn about what's out there now, but FIND OUT WHAT'S HAPPENING NEXT. I want to know what's next. I want it to be something I can afford. Hell, maybe something FREE. I want to talk to colleagues about quirks in Gchat and Google Reader and have them know what I'm complaining about. I want someone else to show ME what's new. I'm tired of being the "tech guru"-- I'm not a tech guru! I just know how to use Office 2007 and I keep current using tools that have been available since 2005 or prior! So someone, anyone, show me something new. Tell me about the next big thing. I'll give you $5 if it's not run by Google. (haha.)

Alright enough of my ranting. I should start trolling on the internet to FIND the next big thing.

No comments: