Thursday, December 4, 2008

time for a quickie

Yesterday at the library I was on desk doing my checking-in, checking-out thing when a regular of ours, a beautiful little 4-5 year old girl comes up to the desk, decked out in her stocking cap and winter clothes. Her mother is handing her books they've checked out (from their last visit) so she can put them in the bookdrop located in the desk, which is conveniently eye-level for this little girl.

I've heard this little girl talk before, and she's a riot. So I began the small talk, asking if she enjoyed her books. She started going ON and ON about each one, as she would put it in the slot:

"And Pete doesn't get any toys from Santa Claus because he'd been a bad boy..."THUNK

"And a monkey TOOK A BANANA WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT, and there are no words in this book, only pictures"....THUNK

"And this *laughing hysterically* is about a Dragon on the Doorstep...it was so funny!"...THUNK...

She had about 10 books. As I checked them in, I looked and she told the proper synopsis of each picture book she tossed in there.

I looked at her mom and said, "She doesn't miss a beat, does she? She's a riot!"

Her mom just laughed and listened the whole time.

If I ever have kids, I hope I can listen to them and allow them to tell me exactly what they think, just as she did...

No comments: