Friday, December 12, 2008

Good Reads Updates

Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream: A Day in the Life of Your Body Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream: A Day in the Life of Your Body by Jennifer Ackerman


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book chronicles a "Day in the life" of your body, outlining the specific functions from dawn til night. I particularly enjoyed this because it perfectly combined the art of the human condition with the science and chemsitry behind why-we-do/feel-what-we-do. I particularly enjoyed various quotes from famous writers, thinkers and philosophers from history throughout, which evoke a sense of commonality from hundreds of years ago to present. Recommended for adults.


View all my reviews.

This Is What I Did: This Is What I Did: by Ann Dee Ellis


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book moves fast- short sentences and quick pace makes it a nice read that can easily be done in a day. I would recommend this to late middle-early high school, people who like trying to "figure out what happened".



The content is a bit icky towards the end, not a particularly "happy" story, so I would recommend this for reluctant readers in 8th-9th grade, people who have read other realistic fiction books that have gritty happenings within them.


View all my reviews.

The London Eye Mystery The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
Ted's different, his mind works in different ways from the "normal" kids. When he, his sister and his cousins Salim go to visit the London Eye ferris wheel, Salim gets on the ride, and never comes back off. While their parents reel with grief and worry, Kat and Ted create their own theories on how Salim disappeared, and much of the book involves them "testing" their theories to track down their missing cousin. I liked this one, and I think people who enjoyed the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime might also appreciate Ted's personality and logic.




View all my reviews.

1 comment:

Nottinghamshirenotes said...

I found you most interesting web page through Google Alerts. You're doing a grand job reviewing books.

Here in Great Britain we have a problem with white boys being illiterate and generally uninterested in reading. Consequently I have started producing short, in the first person, stories aimed at boys 9 - 12.

'The Boy with the Monkey' is set during the Second World War when the Japanese over ran the Malay peninsular capturing all before them. The European men they sent to POW camps, but unsure what to do with the women, they marched them from place to place. One unfortunate group walked for two and half years. 80% died, but so did their guards, and sometimes groups ended up in the bizarre situation of being prisioners without jailors.

10 year old Lawrence is in such a group, and it falls to him to learn how to fish to keep the group alive. Having lost his mother and baby brother he has difficulties forming relationships, but he does fancy having one of the wild monkeys as a pet.

Currently only available as an e-book, a paperback version is planned for the spring.

http://www.eloquentbooks.com/TheBoyWithTheMonkey.html