Friday, November 14, 2008

things are slightly better

In that, I'm not feeling impending doom. I spoke with some people that made me feel better- even if it was just stuff to placate my immediate concerns like "You don't have anything to worry about" or "It's all going to be okay". Sometimes, that's all a person needs to hear.

In other news,

I read a lot of other people's blogs- real ones, not myspace ones really. Mostly I read librarians' blogs- to find out things, keep current, catch up on book reviews, etc. But I came across this posting recently, by the Interactivereader, and I was really struck by the following quote:

"When I boil down freedom, the basis of our government, to its core, its very essence, I believe that a person can do whatever they want to do as long as it does not impinge on another's rights. And here's where some of you and I are bound to disagree: I do not believe that same-sex marriage is harmful to anyone. You can send me as many articles and biased studies as you want, I will never agree with you. Be personally offended all you want about the "homosexual lifestyle", but I will never believe that a gay couple's right to be legally recognized as MARRIED will negatively affect your life. You'll go on living the exact same way you did before. Your 50% chance of marital success will be the same."

And to the Interactivereader, I say: That's exactly right. Precisely. I concur.


I may be personally offended by your body odor, your political views, your ignorance, or a million other things that I may find incredibly apalling and disgusting about you as a human being-- but that doesn't mean the government should do anything about it. Unless you're hurting me, and violating my rights as an Amurhican, do whateverthehellyouwant.

1 comment:

Jackie Parker said...

Thanks Mandy! I was a little nervous posting something so political, but I figured, MY blog, and I needed to vent a bit.

So, I really appreciate the kind words.