Saturday, November 8, 2008

Finding treasures in the archives

So, being the archives, anything that people are reluctant to throw away--- well they just box it up and put it in the archives. They figure, "Oh the archives will want to keep this binder of instructions from 1999".....um.....maybe.

At any rate this week has been a doozy as the office I work in begins moving things around for a renovation (might I add that we just finished renovations in my other job...I thought I was done with the constant moving things around!). People have been instructed to clean things out- and in the process they've been putting all the stuff they can't imagine wanting to "pitch" in the archives.

Boxes of- mostly three ring binders of repetetive information, training manuals, etc. Also fliers, booklets of poems, a box of pictures from the 1970s that are all unmarked or not labeled...imagine getting a box of WELL over 600 photos from 1970 to 2007 that are unmarked! It's insane! I don't know these people!

Also I've come across some interesting things- a box of jewlery and a box of type-setting tools- half of a door-knocker and some lace? Promotional pins and canvas bags from conventions clear through the 1940s...

I've started maniacal quest for organization within the archives closet- which may be a futile effort but at least I'm trying. Among the many many photographs and letters dated from the late 1800s to early 1900s, I found a piece of a calendar from September and October of 1899. It's a promotional piece that was sent out to doctors about a medicine called Antikamnia. It's a strange addition to what is mostly a girl-feminine-centric collection of dance cards and lace. But so far, it's my favorite thing I've found.

No comments: