Friday, September 12, 2008

100 Book Meme

So a friend posted this and I'm embarrassed to post here, but I have a very short attention span. I've started so many more books than I've ever finished. But I'm a firm believer in giving almost anything a shot- but I won't waste time on something that doesn't interest me thoroughly. I would much rather be in love with a book than force myself through it only to hate it....so here we go. I'm probably not the best librarian out there when it comes to classics....And I also gather (after filling this out) that I don't take kindly to being assigned reading...haha!

Bold--I've read it.
Italics-- I tried to read it.

Highlighted--I want to.
Nuttin'--I don't care.
I don't believe in burning books.

1. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
2. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
3. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
4. Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (I own 4, will read them to my kids, couldn't get through the second book)
5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
6. The Bible (never made it all the way through front to back.)
7. Wuthering Heights --Emily Bronte (loved this book)
8. Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell
9. His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman (Way before the hoopla this was an assigned reading for a class. I was bored to tears. I hate fantasy books)
10. Great Expectations -Charles Dickens (Started, but I just don't have a taste for Dickens)
11. Little Women - Louisa M Alcott (I thought Amy and Beth were too whiny)
12. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy (Started as well.)
13. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
14. Complete Works of Shakespeare (I certainly haven't read all of them but I would say at least 1/2.)
15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
16. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
17. Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
18. Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger (loved as a teen, re-read and hated it as an adult)
19. The Time Traveller's Wife – (tsk tsk I know)
20. Middlemarch - George Eliot
21. Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell
22. The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald (loved it)
23. Bleak House - Charles Dickens
24. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
25. The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
26. Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
27. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
28. Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck (high school, barely remember it.)
29. Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll (read parts of Through the Looking Glass and was surprised at how well I liked it, but didn't finish.)
30. The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame (school assignment)
31. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
32. David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
33. Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
34. Emma - Jane Austen
35. Persuasion - Jane Austen
36. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
37. Captain Corelli's Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
38. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden (I've owned this book forever and never finished.)
39. Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne (Another school assignment.)40. Animal Farm - George Orwell (loved it)
41. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown (Read it in one day. Good if you like poorly written mysteries/puzzle stories)
42. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
43. A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
44. The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
45. Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery (currently listening in my car.)
46. Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
47. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
48. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
49. Atonement - Ian McEwan
50. Life of Pi - Yann Martel (REALLY need to read this I hear.)
51. Dune - Frank Herbert
52. Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
53. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
54. A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
55. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
56. A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens (school assignment)
57. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
58. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon (didn't understand the hype)
59. Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
60. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck (high school)
61. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
62. The Secret History - Donna Tartt
63. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold (excellent excellent book)
64. Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
65. On The Road - Jack Kerouac (too wordy)
66. Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
67. Bridget Jones' Diary - Helen Fielding (I can read my own diaries)
68. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
69. Moby Dick - Herman Melville (UGH!)
70. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
71. Dracula - Bram Stoker
72. The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett (I wrote the author as a little girl and was devastated when I found out she had died years prior and never received my letter)
73. Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
74. Ulysses - James Joyce
75. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath (I own 2 copies and have only read half)
76. Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
77. Germinal - Emile Zola
78. Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray
79. Possession - AS Byatt
80. A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (school assignment)
81. Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
82. The Color Purple - Alice Walker
83. The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
84. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
85. A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
86. Charlotte's Web - EB White (sigh. Is there any such perfection as Wilbur and Charlotte?)
87. The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom
88. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (school)
89. The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
90. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad (Creepy- school)
91. The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
92. The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
93. Watership Down - Richard Adams
94. A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
95. A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
96. The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas
97. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl
98. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
99. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
100.The Outsiders -S. E. Hinton

Another thing I noticed after filling this out, is often I select other books by the same authors listed here- though I've never been a fan of Jane Austen. Something must be wrong with me, right?

1 comment:

Maria said...

Good idea to add the italics for started...I do alot of that, too!

This is a bad meme for you if you don't like Austen - I think almost all of her works are on it! Of course, you deserve some punishment for not liking her! :)