Friday, May 23, 2008

Lapse in posting....Negative Nancy

Well I feel like a failure in many ways today. Let me begin by saying that I've MEANT to post more often. I doubt anyone is really even reading this, but I really truly meant to post more often. And I meant this to involve more than just my pithy and inconsistent reviews of teen books. So in that regard, I feel like a failure. Let's talk about other things that made me feel like a failure today:

Well there was a scheduling mixup regarding a school visit I am slated to do NEXT friday, while the school thought I was supposed to show up today. So even though that's not really my fault, I feel awful that a group of elementary students and teachers were likely waiting on me to show up when I had them scheduled at a different time-- next week. Sigh. Feel like a disappointment.

Tonight was supposed to be my first teen program, which is a Yoga program. I thought it would be cool to have something for teens to "unwind, relax, meditate" etc., since finals are right around the corner. I got a yoga instructor to agree to come and do some very basic introductory poses and teach a bit, then was planning on making healthy smoothies (brain food) and also creating desktop zen gardens. I had everything in place until....I check the program registration sheet and no one's registered. Which I guess doesn't matter because my yoga instructor had to cancel due to a death in her family (obviously a valid excuse). But I'm bummed. Discouraged. I feel stupid. I was looking forward to it. I'm still gonna stick it out...have some board games, snacks and whatnot. Maybe I'll even create my OWN desktop zen garden. I'm here until 9pm tonight regardless.

So ho-hum I had a nice long weekend vacation last week and managed to finish a book, and start a few others.

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
A supposed non-fiction account of a girl's experience as she becomes seduced into the world of hallucinogenic drugs in the 1970s...this book was amazing. Certain names/places were changed or just not included in the book. The main character begins the journal like any other 15 year old girl, concerned about friends and boys and family. Very soon after the beginning of the book, she reveals that at a party they play "Button button who's got the button" with LSD. Basically there are 14 people at the party, and 10 hits of acide. They have 14 Coca Colas, but only 10 of them are laced with LSD. Though the main character doesn't realize it at the time, her soda is one of the drug-laced drinks, and she quickly begins her trip. The trip doesn't last just through the party, as she spirals into a world of what begins as infrequent drug use and ends up leading to a complicated and devastating way of life. This was an excellent book, and many believe it's a "classic" of teen lit.

I'm also reading Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer, which is really really good so far. And also have started Airhead by Meg Cabot and The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho.

No comments: