Friday, May 2, 2008

I believe I'm finished with the initial trauma that is program planning for Fall. I've planned many things- for both teens and adults, and hopefully at least one person will show up at least to one of each of the programs.

Now I suppose I culd get started on different details- the "devil is in the details," right? But the detail of what will end up working never really fall into place until the week before or the week OF the program. So that tends to make things interesting.

Part of me wishes I could do my own "marketing" for these program. I wish I could design my own fliers and distribute them as I wish among popular teen hangouts and throughout the library, where I know they clamor around computers and giggle at YouTube videos. But alas, that is the responsibility of another department. And after all, part of being successful at anything is learning to pass-the-torch when your part of the work is through. God that sounded hokey. How did this blog end up so hokey?

I've started reading Cures for Heartbreak-by Margo Rabb. I didn't mean to be halfway through it by now- just reading bits and pieces on breaks and lunches in my car, but I'm already halfway done. It's the type of book that makes you want to call the people you love and tell them they're never allowed to die. If you've never encountered a book like that, well this is it. Sounds like some self-punishment, sure- but I tend to veer towards depressing topics and realistic fiction (as I've mentioned earlier) so I can't really help my tendency to dive into incredibly sad books.

So I also started the book Doing It by Melvin Burgess- another one I picked up purely because of the cover and the title alone. So far I'm not that impressed, but the beginning might be choppy, I don't know. I'll give it a few more dozen pages before it ends up on my halfway-read-then-stopped shelf on GoodReads. Yea. Bad habit.

So someone on a YA message board recently posted that she was being pressed to do more book-related programs with Teens at her library. And I started thinking about the programs I'm planning, and wondered if I wouldn't eventually be "persuaded" to do the same. I'm thinking perhaps I'll just have related books on whatever topic I'm doing (yoga, henna, DIY stuff, etc.) available at the programs, so at least the books will be there to peruse. Yea. That's a good idea.

I'm super excited that my friend from UIUC is coming to visit tomorrow. We'll probably end up in a pub talking about Community Informatics and Google until my boyfriend tells me he's fed up and would like to go home to play Diablo II while I continue to drone on with my friend talking about the field of LIS and the unfortunate sub-field of Law Librarianship in between adult beverages. I will never understand the appeal of Law Librarianship. Ick. (Figures I wouldn't like it- seeing as those people get paid more than public librarians. I tend to only enjoy things that pay about as much as a Waffle House manager makes.)

At any rate, yesterday I had more than 6 Reference Questions. WOOO HOOO! Finally! People I could do things for- people I could teach how to use our electronic resources-- I gave out at least 3 sets of instructions on how to access our databases from home.

I am a nerd. Noted.

No comments: